- BUY THE BOOK: PORTSOY WOODS : NEW
- BUY THE BOOK "RATIONAL PREPAREDNESS"
- BUY THE BOOK: WHAT I LEARNED FROM DANIEL
- Other Books I Have Written
- NEW BLOG: Portsoy Woods
- What I Learned from Daniel: THE BLOG
- NEW BLOG: IF I WERE TO BE HONEST
- NEW BLOG: Life After the Rescues
- Preparedness Books... of Which to Take Note
- On Becoming a New Author
- Provide Information or Feedback to Me
- Our Advertising and Commentary Policy
- BUY THE BOOK: RATIONAL PREPAREDNESS: A PRIMER TO PREPAREDNESS
- Lawrence DeWolfe Kelsey: The Life of the Explorer
Sunday, August 24, 2014
Todays San Francisco Earthquake
This morning, the most severe earthquake in 25 years hit the San Francisco/Napa Valley area of California. The 6.0-6.1 magnitude quake was centered in American Canyon, California. It shook San Francisco violently, and was felt all over Central California. More than 170 people have been injured. Six people have been critically injured. One child was hospitalized after a fireplace collapsed over him The quake occurred after 3 am, Pacific Standard Time.
Many buildings have been declared uninhabitable. There are at least six significant fires which occurred following quake related natural gasline ruptures. Hardest hit in San Francisco, Solano, Sonoma and Napa Counties. There have already been greater than sixty aftershocks. Schools in the region will be closed on Monday.
Please check on any relatives you have in Central California. Although California plans for such occurrences, and construction requirements consider such things, injuries, property destruction, fires, and service disruptions are a serious matter.
For the rest of us, this is a warning. There has been an increase in the past year, of seismic activities in many areas, in many places in the world. In Central Virginia, even three years after a 5.9 earthquake destroyed an elementary school and a high school, the rebuilding of the high school is not yet complete. Earthquakes can be a significantly destructive and disruptive force.
In 1906 an earthquake in this region decimated San Francisco, and created fires which contributed to the deaths of many. I remember that there is an account in the papers of my grandfather of the 1906 quake. He was visiting San Francisco from Merced Falls at that time.
Prior posts on this blog which concern Earthquakes and Earthquake Preparedness: