- BUY THE BOOK: PORTSOY WOODS : NEW
- BUY THE BOOK "RATIONAL PREPAREDNESS"
- BUY THE BOOK: WHAT I LEARNED FROM DANIEL
- Other Books I Have Written
- NEW BLOG: Portsoy Woods
- What I Learned from Daniel: THE BLOG
- NEW BLOG: IF I WERE TO BE HONEST
- NEW BLOG: Life After the Rescues
- Preparedness Books... of Which to Take Note
- On Becoming a New Author
- Provide Information or Feedback to Me
- Our Advertising and Commentary Policy
- BUY THE BOOK: RATIONAL PREPAREDNESS: A PRIMER TO P...
Saturday, March 18, 2017
Weltevree's Groundfridge is a prefabricated cellar that when installed, keeps a large amount of cheese, wine, fruit and vegetables cool without a requirement for electricity.
It's capacity is that of about twenty conventional refrigerators. The temperature is said to go no higher than 50-53 degrees F, which is 10-12 degrees Celsius. It consists of a polyester shell which has an accompanying staircase and rail. It has a ventilation system, and when people are out, it is airtight and virtually vermin proof.
It is possible to have a builder build a similar device for you, although it would likely be more expensive than this particular device. An LED strip lighting package and a cabinet are options that may be added at extra cost. Shelving is standard. Floris Schoonderbeek is the designer and the recipient of the 2015 Danish design award for this device.
Information from Weltevree itself:
The Groundfridge is a buryable, autonomic operating (cooling) cellar. The Groundfridge uses the insulating capacity of the soil and the cooling effect of the underground water. This allows the temperature within the Groundfridge to remain a steady 10 – 12 °C ( 50-53 ºF) throughout the entire year – the perfect temperature to store, for example, fruits, vegetables, wine and cheese.
No electricity bill
Keeping your food stored chilly without using a refrigerator and thus without using energy? Not only is this possible, it is in fact based on an age-old principle. The Groundfridge has as much storage capacity as 20 refrigerators.
How does it work?
The Groundfridge is transported and delivered to you, dug in and covered up with the soil taken from its new lodging place. This covering layer of soil is about 1 meter thick and has ample insulating properties for a steady core temperature within the Groundfridge as the underground water provides additional cooling. Added benefit: installing the Groundfridge requires no permits, and when digging it in, no soil need be carried off of the premises.
20 refrigerator capacity, zero electricity
The Groundfridge has a storage capacity of 3,000 liters. This equals the contents of 20 refrigerators and will store 1,102 lbs (or 500 kg) of food (the harvest of a 250 m2 vegetable garden). That’s enough to prepare 350 meals – enough to feed a family of 5.
Information between the two sets of undulating lines is the sole work product of Welvetree.
This device will be available all over the world including South Africa and Russia.
In the United States:
Friday, March 3, 2017
People who are interested in preparedness and survivalism are always interested in strategies for avoiding hazards in harsh or difficult circumstances. Most of us are aware of the antimicrobial properties of silver, but few of us have known about the antimicrobial potential of copper infused cloth. In fact, the Israeli military already uses socks of this type of fabric.
Recently, the Sentara Hospital chain in the United States, in an attempt to reduce the number of hospital acquired infections, and particularly MRSA, began using copper infused sheets, towels and hospital gowns. As you may be aware, hospitalized patients who are often vulnerable to infection, may acquire infections within hospital walls. Additionally, the infectious organisms present in hospitals, despite diligent cleaning, are often what the lay public calls "superbugs", infectious agents that are resistant to conventional antibiotic treatment. Therefore the use of copper in cloth could be a great adjunct in containing or reducing nosocomial or hospital acquired infections.
Cupron, the company that makes these copper infused fabrics was founded in Israel. It is now based in Richmond, Virginia. They also sell a copper infused sock intended for diabetics, but that may also be useful to those with vascular issues of the feet, as they too are particularly vulnerable to foot infection. Cupron also makes copper infused solid surfaces for hospital and health care purposes.
These products also have applications in many other industries. Imagine how much safer gymnasiums could be if the towels used there, were made of Cupron materials. Shoes, plastics and cosmetics could also be made in this way.
I am particularly happy to bring news of this to the preparedness and survival communities. I hope to see more of these products soon.
Cupron's Manufacturing process
Friday, February 24, 2017
|(Photo: PIR Center)|
When Alexander Litvinenko was poisoned in London at a tea house with polonium that could only have come from the Russian government or military, people were shocked and upset. When Litvinenko fell ill and was hospitalized, and polonium was eventually discovered as the cause, law enforcement and the medical establishment realized that not only was a man poisoned and murdered, but a swath of innocent people in a foreign land were exposed as well. Everyone from the people in the plane that transported the polonium from Russia, to those in the tea house, those in the tube train, those walking down to street, in addition to the physicians and nurses in the hospital, were all exposed. This is why such an action should not be forgotten. Litvinenko was actually a British subject at the time of his killing. Whomever killed Litvinenko didn't care that citizens in another land might die as well.
Two weeks ago, Kim Jong Nam, the elder brother of North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un, was similarly murdered. VX Nerve gas has been found on his face and on his eyes on autopsy. Four presumed North Korean agents are said to have placed the VX on his face as he walked through the airport in Kuala Lampur in Malaysia. Minutes later he died in an ambulance on the way to a hospital. One of the attackers began vomiting presumably due to exposure to the agent, despite the fact that she tried to wash it off her hands in a bathroom.
Since Kim Jong Nam was actually the elder brother, and had wanted to ease toward democracy in North Korea, had he ever become it's leader, his father, Kim Jong Il, decided to make Kim Jong Un his successor. The elder Kim Jong Nam was a close as North Korea would ever have had to a reformer. His father had wanted this beloved brother to be left alone. Kim Jong Nam therefore spent a lot of time in university in Switzerland, and learning about technology. Most recently he was living in China and took fairly frequent trips to Malaysia. He traveled often and was the father of a number of children.
Once again, N. Korea, strongly felt to be the body who ordered this hit, thought nothing of exposing those in a foreign land to the most dangerous chemical weapon known to man. This should have implications for any nation that had even polite relations with N. Korea.
A new dimension to terrorism has begun. The use of chemical and radiological weapons as a means to completing a hit have been acceptable now to two nations. Such actions, if continued, are likely to impact the innocent as well. VX can be delivered to thousands in a number of ways. Neither of these killings should be forgotten. Such weapons exist and there are those on Earth who will not hesitate to use them.
Wednesday, February 8, 2017
A lot of people know that Idaho, or a state known for having a lot of forest and rural lands might be a better choice as a place for a survival home, but they are tied into the Northeast with friends, families and jobs. In addition, land can be very pricey in the northeast, as can property taxes. I wanted to post this for those of you in such a situation.
This is 90, Sunset Ridge in Norfolk, Connecticut, 06058, which is in Litchfield County.
This property is on 38 deeded acres, but should be resurveyed, as it could be slightly more or slightly less.
Three Bedroom, 1 Bath home on 38 acres. A diamond in the rough, this property is tucked away down a private drive yet within walking distance to the Norfolk Village center and the Norfolk Library, Infinity Hall, the Yale Estate as well as within walking distance to Norfolk’s ballfield and Toby Pond. Norfolk, CT, is located in the Litchfield Hills and close to the Berkshires, Appalachian Trail, Wassaic train station and the Farmington and Housatonic Rivers that boast wonderful fly fishing. It also has a Haystack Mountain view. There is also a detached garage.
It is a current listing and is presently only $198,000. US
This permits a family to have land, security and some gardening potential, while remaining in the Northeast near family, friends and familiar health care.
Please do your due diligence and check zoning laws to ensure that your plans for such a property are in keeping with the planning department of the township, county and state. The property taxes are over five thousand dollars a year, which is quite typical for many homes in the area, even those without acreage.
Agent Contact Information:
Saturday, February 4, 2017
Once again, I have no financial interest in this or in any other property for sale by Survival Realty. However, depending upon where you are living in the US, this is an excellent buy. It is South of Richmond , Virginia in a rural area off Interstate 95.
The information between the two set of undulating lines is the work product of Survival Realty.
Private Oasis on Over 47 Acres!
599,000 47.27 acres Deborah Edgar Deborah Edgar Real Estate Group
Your private oasis awaits! Sited on over 47 acres, this custom-built retreat offers 3,100 sq ft in the main house with stunning open concept and no detail spared. Step inside the spacious foyer and be greeted by beamed cathedral ceilings, a breath-taking cypress vaulted front wall and many windows, illuminating the craftsmanship and detail throughout. The beautifully designed kitchen offers granite counter tops, tile backsplash, tin ceiling and state-of-the-art appliances.
Located on the first floor, the master suite provides a luxurious bath featuring a large tile steam shower, soaking tub and heated floors. The spacious second floor loft overlooks the lower level and provides plenty of space for relaxing. Two additional bedrooms offer private full baths.
The pool house adds an additional 2,450 sq ft of finished and conditioned space, housing the 36×12 heated salt water pool. Additional private rooms transform this building into a welcoming guest house. The oversized two-car garage features a half-bath and utility area as well as plenty of storage. There is an unfinished apartment above the garage with private entrance.
Conveniently located off Interstate 95. Stokes Plat. More details below:
- Land 48 acres +/-
- Wildlife: Deer Turkey Hawks
- Lots of country roads for great bike rides
- 5 miles off 95
- 20 minutes to Emporia: Wal Mart, Food Lion, Pebbles
- 30 minutes to SouthPark area: Target, Best Buy, Lowes, Sears, numerous medical facilities, restaurants, etc.
- Farmers market in Emporia, greenhouse/produce at Pinewood Greenhouse 10 minutes away.
- Drilled well with 86 gal water tank and ¾ hp pump.
- Infiltrator Panel System installed in septic drainfield
- Main House completed in 2008. 3100 square feet
- Has passive solar orientation, 24” overhangs for summer/winter energy savings.
- 2×6 construction
- Radiant barrier in ceiling for additional insulation in roof (R-Value 48)
- Roof baffles and continuous ridge vent to prolong life of roof
- 30 year architectural shingles
- Low E glass Windows
- Ext Fiberglass doors with interior blinds and PVC jambs
- Foundry Hand Split Shake Vinyl Siding
- Timbertech back deck
- Stone veneer foundation
- Interior walls as well as exterior walls are insulated
- Moisture barrier in crawl space
- Water proof 4’ lights in crawl space.
- RV Connection in driveway near garage
- Gate at road
- Solar motion detection lights at gate.
- Omni Security system with 4 cameras, DVR, cameras can be viewed on TV; expandable to 9 cameras
- 3 American Standard Heritage 15 SEER HVAC systems: one for master suite, one for upstairs
and one for downstairs. Each system has a whole house air cleaning filter system and
programmable electronic communicating thermostat.
- Generac Generator
- 500 gal propane tank
- Laundry room has tin ceiling, built in cabinets, broom closet, granite countertops.
Instant Rinnai gas hot water heater for continuous energy efficient hot water
- Kitchen has tin ceiling, granite countertops, tiled backsplash, custom basswood cabinets with 41” tall wall cabinets, above and below cabinet lighting. 5’ refrigerator and freezer (Kenmore). Bosch dishwasher. Kenmore Elite Dual Fuel 40” range features five gas burners, and 2 electric. Ovens: one main and one side oven. Main oven is also convection. 48” Broan Elite 61000 series range hood with removable washable filters and 4 halogen lights.
- Open concept living area with cypress T&G ceiling, cypress also on vaulted front wall.
- Tiled floor installed on tilebacker cement board throughout first floor.
- Custom energy saving blinds on 1st floor.
- Media closet, surround sound throughout house and on back deck.
- 6’ storage closet
- Recessed lighting
- Half bath with vintage school desk vanity with granite top, vessel sink and vintage mirror.
- Main floor master suite with wood floor, tray lighting, walk-in closet.
- Master bath has granite counters. 1 sink and vanity area, double mirrors. 6’ Maax “Moonlight” soaking tub. Tiled steam shower (5’5” x 7’) with glass blocks, 6 jets, rain shower head and hand held faucet. Radiant heated tile floor with programmable thermostat.
- Non load bearing log pole (from property) at stair case, stair case has bluestone treads, rockwall beside stairs.
- 2nd floor has open center room for entertainment/ recreation; two additional bedrooms with 2 full baths. Wood floor throughout 2nd floor rooms. Each bath has tiled floor installed on tilebacker cement board. One bath tub/shower, vessel sink. 2nd bath has shower and pedestal sink. Bedrooms’ crawl spaces have access doors for additional storage.
- All interior doors are solid wood.
- Ceiling Fans throughout
- Same footprint as Main house with passive solar energy saving
features such as orientation and length of overhang.
- Ceiling is moisture resistant PVC T&G, walls are James Hardee cement board, deck around pool is tinted concrete. Walls and ceiling have a vapor barrier as well as all seams sealed to prevent moisture damage.
- Timbertech deck on side and rear of pool house
- Pool house has DRY-AIR dehumidifier system professionally engineered to control humidity
and prevent deterioration of building from moisture. System does dehumidification, space
heating, pool water heating and air conditioning. The heating is propane so there is also a
boiler in the mechanical room.
- DRY AIR system also has a three way valve for energy efficiency. Excess heat from heating
space or dehumidification is dumped into pool as needed to maintain pool temperature.
Pool is salt water with a diatomaceous earth pool filter and Hayward Pool Pump. Also has
the Aqua Plus Automation and Chlorination pool controller. With the Aqua Plus controller,
salt level is monitored, filtering times can be set as well as chlorinator percentage. A Ranco
temperature gauge sets the pool temperature.
- The pool house has security system (all doors are alarmed) and video monitoring. (Great
for monitoring swimmers from main house!)
- All windows are tempered glass and all electric is ground fault.
- Negative pressure fan in ceiling
- Completely open with 12 x 36 vinyl pool, mechanical room, exercise area and full bath with
shower, toilet and utility sink, also washer and dryer hookup.
- Five speakers in pool house with media system in exercise room.
- Exercise room has a separate HVAC system.
- Spiral staircase leads to second floor (approx 465 sq ft) which overlooks pool. Has glass
panel rail so view of pool is not obscured.
- Built in 2013. Has two roll up 10 x 10 insulated Pantego garage
- Storage cabinets installed on one wall, walls and ceiling are finished.
- Downstairs also has half bath with utility sink, storage closet and craft area with wall cabinets.
The second floor of the garage is an unfinished apt with own entrance. The electric has
been run. Rough in HVAC is completed. Unfinished kitchen and vanity cabinets for
- Termite prevention and maintenance in 2015 (all buildings)
- HVAC maintenance (main house) 2015
- Pool systems maintenance 2014
- Pool Dry Air maintenance 2014
- Manuals available on request.
- Direct TV
- Exede Internet (other satellite systems are available)
With over ten years of powerful negotiating skills as a multi-million dollar producer, it is my mission to help you reach your desired real estate goals efficiently, effectively and with utmost profit. I specialize in urban, historic and waterfront properties, but am able to assist in any market whether it is investment, suburban or even commercial properties. Knowledge is power and I am committed to knowing and understanding our current market conditions so that your goals can be reached. In addition to powerful negotiating skills, I pride myself on customer service, attention to detail and forming life-long relationships with my clients. Please use my Website to access powerful features such as the access to the MLS through my MLS Wizard. Selling your home takes special care and attention in order to get the highest possible price and you can feel free to use my Value Wizard to get an instant comparable sales report. My links section is designed to point you to important information on home shopping, owning and selling. If you cannot find the information you seek, contact me and I will do my best to get you an answer or point you to a resource.
SurvivalRealty.com | Copyright 2015 | All Rights Reserved
Friday, January 27, 2017
|Yes, $68.000 and on seven beautiful acres.|
Periodically, someone tells me that they are looking for a secluded location for disaster emergencies, and that they can't find anything for under three hundred thousand dollars. This is particularly true, they say, of the US Northeast. I counter by saying that if you look hard enough, there are affordable full time rural homes, and there are affordable rural cabins for emergencies.
This is one such instance. I will leave this post up, even after the property is sold, as an inspiration to those who continue to look.
The information between the two sets of undulating lines is the work product of Survival Realty.com
ALWAYS DO ALL YOUR OWN CHECKING AND DUE DILIGENCE.
The Callicoon of which they speak is in New York State.
An on-site cabin is designed with the hunter and survivalist in mind. The ground floor has plenty of room for multiple beds, a table, and a wash area. A separate room has a composting toilet. Take the ladder to a loft where a new bamboo wood floor sleeps up to eight. All interior work designed with non-voc paints and sustainable materials. Heavily insulated, one wood stove keeps the space hot even when temperatures drop below 0 F. The 7 Acres of land is completely forested with plenty of dead and down wood waiting for a chainsaw.
Water comes from an on-site well drilled in 2011. There is no indoor running water (which is why I can’t sell it as a home and why the price is so much cheaper than a home), but you can install a septic system to remedy that (I got estimates at only $15,000). The electric is grid-supplied, but there is plenty of room to install solar or wind. The local utility is green, using wind power from nearby generators.
Friendly neighbors have adjacent plots of 10 acres or more.
This seven acres is enough to live off of. The land has abundant patches of wild raspberries and blueberries. Game is plentiful with deer and wild turkey crossing the property. I updated the driveway, shared with the neighbor, and cleared an area in front of the house. It’s ideal for a garden, chickens, and rabbits. I built a stone patio in front of the house, and there are amazing stone walls running through the property. It’s a great place for a barbecue.
If you want to get back to society, Callicoon is right across the Deleware with antique shops, a one-movie theater, and some great bars. There are many State game lands nearby and lost of fishing.
Supplied AS-IS, which is how I bought it. What does that mean? A liftetime supply of tools, including saws, maple syrup taps, antique stoves, game cookbooks, and all furniture. Ready to use at a moment’s notice! I bought it from an old man who used it as his hunting and fishing man-cave. Buy it and use it the same weekend!
I love this place, but I’m relocating and won’t be able to access it anymore. If you have the same dreams I did, getting away from it all to a self-sustainable place, this is perfect for you.
Saturday, January 21, 2017
|Never find yourself in a situation where you are forced to go out, particularly in some type of emergency.|
Most women, especially mothers, and most men are polite and cooperative when dealing with strangers. They tend to behave a bit better than that when dealing with neighbors or acquaintances with whom they may have dealings later. However, during even a mild crisis, behaviors change and they may change quickly.
One need only look to some of the Trump Inauguration protestors breaking windows and striking back at police as the police try to limit damage to the glass of a shop that has nothing whatever to do with the inauguration. During weather emergencies, both men and women may behave very badly when their grocery store has only three loaves of sandwich style bread remaining. I remember observing a rather nasty fight by Land Rovered soccer moms, here in Virginia over free bottled water in twelve packs, being given out to customers of the power company, during a protracted power outage.
Please know and accept that a gathering of people while under some type of duress, can go from odd and a bit entertaining, to downright dangerous in the space of a few seconds. Fires, for example, when they involve crowds of people, may cause deaths from trampling rather than smoke inhalation.
This doesn't mean we wander through the world waiting for our friends and neighbors to lose their minds. It does mean that we keep normal amounts of supplies of water, food, healthcare, and comfort items so that we have the option of remaining at home when potentially dangerous gatherings of people might occur. Give some thought as to how you would defend yourself and your family should you experience a home invasion during a disaster or national emergency of some type. My parents used an excellent saying....... A word to the wise is sufficient.